Sunday, May 22, 2011

Meet Scott Holt and Marie-Nicole Ryan

This morning I am pleased to have Marie-Nicole Ryan and Scott Holt visit.
Let's learn a bit about Scott and Tess from "Love Me If You Can".
While you're at it, check out the cover art . . . positively yummy!!
  1. Where are you from, Scott? Born and bred in Music City, USA.
  2. What is LOVE ME IF YOU CAN about? It’s the story of how I met and won the heart of a Metro Homicide Detective by the name of Tess O’Malley. There’s a serial killer running amok in town, too. Likes to kidnap and kill teenage boys.
  3. What did you think the first time you saw Tess? I thought she had a great set of wheels, but she couldn’t make up her mind between whole milk or skim for her coffee.
  4. And your second thought? As soon as she turned around and threatened to arrest me as a public nuisance, my response was, “Wow.”
  5. Did you think it was love at first sight? More like a combination of irritation and lust.
  6. What do you like most about her? Tess is bright and beautiful. Doesn’t get any better than that.
  7. How would you describe her? Medium height, fiery red hair that waves down to her shoulders. Cute little freckles across her cheeks and nose. Wide grey eyes that tell you she won’t tolerate any bullshit from perps or anyone else.
  8. How would she describe you? Probably that I’m a major pain in the ass.
  9. What made you choose being a private investigator as a career?
It chose me. I was in my last year of law school when my father and stepmother were killed in a car wreck. In order to support our blended family of six, I had to quit law school and take over the family business.
  1. What is your biggest fear? Losing Tess.
  2. How do you relax? I work out at the Y, and I coach kids—soccer and baseball. Watch sports with my stepbrother Justin.
  3. Who is your favorite fictional character and why? Perry Mason because he never lost a case.
  4. What is the best piece of advice you ever received? Shortly after my dad married my stepmother and we went from a family of three to a family of eight, I was complaining a bit about lack of privacy and all the girls getting in my business. He told me, “Son, family is everything. Without family you’re disconnected and alone. Suck it up, and some day you’ll be as happy as I am.”

To Marie-Nicole: Which movies or books have had a significant impact on your life or your writing? I was the original bookworm, reading everything I could get my hands on from the sides of the cereal box to my mother’s high school literature books. But the book that captured my imagination most is GREEN DARKNESS by Anya Seton. It combined past and present lives in a wondrous way.

From Veronica: Thanks, Marie-Nicole, it's been a pleasure meeting Scott Holt and learning a bit about him and the woman who has captured his heart. “Green Darkness”. I remember reading that book during my early teen years. I recall little about it but the author's name is [and was] so unique to me, I've never forgotten it. Thanks for joining us today.
And now a blurb and excerpt from "Love Me If You Can" . . .


 
 
Blurb:
Nashville sizzles in the summer. No wonder Tess and Scott combust.
Nashville Homicide Detective Tess O'Malley has a lot to prove. She comes from a long line of police officers, including her father and older brothers. First she and her partner are taken off a high profile case and sidelined with a cold case instead. After reviewing the files, she is certain her cold case is connected to the current one, and she sets out to prove it. Too bad it means locking horns with a handsome PI who could win her heart and derail her career.
Scott Holt is all business when it comes to running his famiy's PI firm. When the lovely Detective O'Malley comes to question him about his possible involvement in her cold case, he has everything but business on his mind. Like locking lips with the fiery redhead.

Excerpt:             
Tess took another bite of pizza, her silver gaze never leaving his. ou going to help me out or not? Forbes is your client, after all.Her voice rose and, again, heads turned in their direction.
Calm down. I'd like to live long enough to walk you home and maybe get a good-night kiss.”
Taking a deep breath, she leaned back and signaled everything was cool. ou want to walk me home and kiss me good-night? How sweet.”
Her soft tone mocked him, but he didn't care.
Like we're high school sweethearts?She wrinkled her nose, but her eyes shone with moderate good humor.
Would you rather I said what I was really thinking?”
Her lashes fluttered briefly, then she eyeballed him directly. aybe. Depends on what you were really thinking.”
He lowered his tone a notch. bout pressing you up against the wall and having my way with you.”
For a second, her gray eyes flashed silver.
Damn. He was a goner, he'd gone too far. Said too much. Too soon.
She leaned forward. 'll have you know I don't engage in up-against-the-wall, wild animal sex on the first date, not that this is even a date.Her tone was matter-of-fact, but her cheeks flushed a pretty pink. Maybe he could still pull his nuts out of the fire before they went up in smoke.
A guy can always hope,he said, without a chance in the world she wouldn't kick him to the curb. Or have one of her fellow officers do the honors.
A guy can hold his breath until he turns purple.”
I can see I've put my foot in it. I'm sorry. But damn, the sight of your mouth. Your skin. Your eyes. Dammit. You're driving me up a wall.”
Another reference to the wall? Would that be the same wall?”
Bad choice of words.”

Social Networking Links:
Facebook: http://facebook.com/marienicoleryan.author
Twitter: http://twitter.com/marienicoleryan
to purchase this book go to: www.thewildrosepress.com


 

6 comments:

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks for having me, Veronica. I appreciate the opportunity to share Scott with you and your readers. I'm sure Tess won't mind sharing him too much. ;-)

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Buy at Amazon:
http://astore.amazon.com/marinicoryan-20

Buy at The Wild Rose Press:
http://thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137&products_id=4154

Carolyn Rosewood said...

Great interview! This sounds like a wonderful read!

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks, Carolyn. Scott was a lot of fun to write.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Can't wait to give the book a try.

Margo

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Thanks, Margo. I hope you'll enjoy it. I lived in Nashville for several decades and just recently moved back to western Kentucky last fall.